I had a moment of madness.
I’ve been working on the unsizeable hat for a while now, and truth be told it’s been driving me a bit mad. I still love the way it looks, but I couldn’t figure out a way of decreasing that looked good. Eventually it came to me – a way of integrating the decreases into the smocking pattern – and today I embarked on it. Here are the notes I made: note, these are four entirely separate sheets of notes.
I finally got to the last row when I was planning to thread through and be done, and in a moment of madness I decided I didn’t like the way it looked. The decreases weren’t neat enough – I love the neatness of the smocked brim – and it all just looked a bit messy. And on top of that, I wasn’t sure my notes would turn into anything approaching a proper pattern.
So I ripped it all out.
Almost four hours’ work, gone in the blink of an eye.
I’m a little bit in shock. In fact, I almost started hyperventilating when I realised what I’d done. But I’m back knitting it already. I saw a physiotherapist on Wednesday who told me (completely incidentally to what we were talking about, mind) that if you suffer whiplash in a car crash, it’s an important part of pain therapy to get back in a car as soon as possible. So in a way, that’s what I’m doing – I’m not going to try and forget the car crash of a frogging I just did on this poor little hat – I’m getting right back in there and I’m going to knit until I’m over it.